Monday, June 25, 2012

Interview with Suzan Battah + a Review

Good Monday morning to you, and welcome once again, to Storm Goddess Book Reviews. If you are a new visitor to my blog, I hope you like what you see and become a follower. There's always fun things going on around here.


Today, I have author Suzan Battah in the interview hot seat. I'm also doing a review for Suzan's book, BaSati: Outside In. So, without further ado, let's begin the fun!


Welcome, Suzan. I'm glad to have you here today. Thank you for taking the time to answer my inquiring questions.




tell me about yourself, and your writing.
Thank you for having me here on your blog. I'm Suzan Battah from Sydney Australia and I recently published my novels, BaSatai: Outside In, a YA Adventure/Paranormal Romance Novel and also have another book out Mad About the Boy a Contemporary Multicultural Romance. I've been writing for about 13 years, I love to dance Ballroom and Latin, I'm also very much afraid of heights and one day I hope to speak Spanish fluently. I write because I love to and BaSatai: Outside In is the first in a series, a trilogy about Armani a BaSatai with cursed blood. I'm currently writing the 2nd in the series and learning my craft more by studying again, it's always great to refresh the mind and craft of writing by revisiting studies.


Do you write in multiple genres or just one? If just one, do you ever consider straying outside your genre?
I write whatever comes to mind. Contemporary Romance, YA Urban Fantasy/Paranormal, Regency are three genres of great interest. I love each genre for it's own diversity and being able to test my writing creativity.

Are you a plotter or do you write from the seat of your pants?
I used to write by the seat of my pants which was fun for a while but because I have time limitations with a fulltime job now I write with plot points, chapter points and than run with it by the seat of my pants! Writing is so much fun for me, it's not hard and I constantly think outside the square of where I want my characters to go, grow and learn from certain situations.


What is a typical writing day like for you?
I write mostly in the early morning, early evenings and on the weekends, public holidays and any moment I can. Writing fulltime is a big dream of mine. When I sit down to write, I put on some music on to get my creative mind ready and everything falls into place.

Who do you love to read? Favorite authors, favorite books?
I love to read Richelle Mead, Stephanie Meyer, JK Rowling, Stephanie Laurens, Sophie Kinsella, Johanna Lindsey. I have very eclectic tastes when it comes to books. I love discovering new voices to read. I especially love the VA series by Richelle Mead. She is my favorite author of the moment. I have too many favorite books to name but I love the Cynster Series by Stephanie Laurens, Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella and VA Series by Richelle Mead. There is such great talent from writers, it's hard to choose.

What is something you'd like to accomplish in your writing career next year?
I'd really love to finish the 2nd BaSatai book and have it ready by December for ARC's. I am currently in a few competitions, so would love to win or place in these competitions for some of my written scripts.

If you could have one paranormal ability, what would it be?
To be able to use the environmental elements and run really fast - oops two choices but more of a combo ability, I need both :)

If you could keep a mythical/ paranormal creature as a pet, what would you have?
Oh this is a hard question, I'd love a werewolf such gorgeous creatures and a sabertooth and maybe a fairy but they wouldn't be my pets they would be my friends - only if they all got along.

Tell us a little about your latest release.
BaSatai: Outside In is a unique book. Armani is born with a blood curse and has remained hidden on earth until her Guardian and BaSatai Warrior's come to take her back she's lived a relatively peaceful life. The blood curse is about to mature on her 18th birthday making her a target for supernatural hunters. Armani is torn by her belief that she is not the one with the curse and no BaSatai should die to save her. She rebels against logic and refuses to fall into line. Karhl, her Guardian and Rafael her soul mate must make her ready or risk the end of humanity if she dies. I loved writing this book because it was so different to anything I had written before. There is adventure, romance and lots of teenage angst. Free your mind from preconception to read this book, be open to anything that might happen.


What is something that you absolutely can't live without? (Other than family members)
Easy - my ipod, laptop, pen and paper, my man and my iPhone.

Could you ever co author a book with someone? If so, who would you choose, and what would you write?
To be honest, probably not because I have real clear visions of my stories I don't really want to rock the boat with a collaboration as such.

If you could spend a day with anyone from history, dead or alive, who would it be, and what would you do? What would you ask them?
Queen Elizabeth I, she was an amazing woman. I'd ask her about her life and what was it like to be the target of an assassination plot and take her travelling with me around the world. She was a cultured person, so I'd take her to the Theatre.

What are some of your other hobbies outside of writing?
I love to dance! I love to go to the gym and do aerobics as well.

If you were on the staff to have a book adapted to movie, what would you pick?
I would definitely adapt Vampire Academy (already being done, I think). I think I'd love to
adapt Farsighted by Emlyn Chand - great book.

What is a talent you wish you had, but don't?
I wish I could sing, I sing anyway but my voice isn't Beyonce :)

Favorite color?
Emerald Green

Weather: Hot or cold?
In between Hot and Cold, more to the Hot side.

Favorite place to read?
On a bean bag in the living room.

Favorite meal
Wontons, I'm still trying to learn how to make it. My mum and sister think I'm almost there.

Favorite non-alcoholic drink.
I don't drink alcohol at all but my non alcoholic drink would be fresh made lemonade, yummy.

If you could travel anywhere and do anything, no limits or money holding you back, where would you go?
First to England, I need to see all the castles and history, through Europe next, Africa and over to Canada and a quick look around America. I love to travel, even though I'm not the best flyer.


I enjoyed learning more about you, Suzan! 




Author Bio: 

Suzan Battah is a proud Australian born author who has loved to write since her teenage years. In 2011 she published her first novel a contemporary multicultural romance - Mad About the Boy. In her spare time she weaves magical tales to entertain. Suzan writes YA Fiction - Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance, Regency Romance and Contemporary Romance. Other fun things you can find her doing is training at the gym and Latin/Ballroom dancing. Suzan is afraid of heights, loves most things that are sweet, has no clue about fashion and one day hopes to speak Spanish fluently. Her second novel a YA Urban Fantasy Adventure - BaSatai: Outside In was published the 14th of April 2012.

Connect with Suzan:
@suzanbattah







Seventeen year old, Armani Radnelaq a full blooded BaSatai is plagued by a curse in her blood. A curse created from hate and designed to break the divide between two parallel worlds of Earth and H-trae when Armani's blood is spilled in attack and she dies.

S'teuqoubs have been travelling back and forth across the divide for centuries without trouble. The BaSatai and Guardians monitoring activity and enforcing rules to ensure peace and harmony but if the divide splits and opens, a much greater number of supernatural S’teuqoubs will filter into earth destroying equilibrium which the BaSatai and Guardians will be unable to control. Humanity and the BaSatai will suffer and perish. The parallel divide must remain secure at all costs.

Armani has remained hidden on earth with her adopted father Elijah since her birth. She has been raised in the human way and fights her natural instinct to evolve into a BaSatai. The BaSatai in her requires her to evovle and shift, use her powers and strength. Yet Armani is freaked out by the need to shift. She smokes, has a bad attitude, must deal with aggressive bullies and control her natural BaSatai instinct. Her Guardian with BaSatai Warriors are coming for her. She refuses to accept her fate and doesn't believe any BaSatai should die to protect her.

The blood curse maturing in her veins makes her a target for her enemies. Her Guardian Karhl and an elite BasSatai Warrior Rafael are the first to arrive and prepare her for her crossing over. Her attraction to Rafael complicates her purpose to stay on earth even more. They both insist she fall into line and follow their lead but she is not ready to leave earth just yet...




RATING: 4 LIGHTNING BOLTS 

Review:  Armani lives with a curse.  She's different from others, even though she lives on Earth just like a human....but there's so much more to Armani.

This thrilling first book to a series is compelling and upbeat. The plot fascinated me, as I followed Armani's journey to things unknown.   There's so many questions she has, so many things she wants to do, to know, and this book begins Armani's quest.  The writing is great, the pacing kept getting faster as the story went on.  

Basatai is a unique story, one that takes a reader on a wild ride. Hang on to your hats, readers, and join Armani's journey! 

If you go to Suzan's tour page on Chick Lit Plus's website and comment, you are entered in a drawing for various prizes. 



















On Barnes & Noble

5 comments:

  1. Interesting interview and I enjoyed the teaser. And congrats to Suzann for such a lovely book cover! That's always the first thing that draws me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview and good review! Love the cover for BaSatai: Outside Inside - this sounds like a fascinating series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice interview, ladies. And great review too. The book sounds pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool interview! The book sounds interesting. I love love love Vampire Academy. I didn't know it was picked up! woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the support hope you will love the second BaSatai as it has more romance adventure to come

    ReplyDelete