Thursday, December 13, 2012

VBT: Trisha Leigh Review + Excerpt

BLURB: In 2015, a race of alien Others conquered Earth. They enslaved humanity not by force, but through an aggressive mind control that turned people into contented, unquestioning robots.

Except sixteen-year-old Althea isn’t content at all, and she doesn’t need the mysterious note inside her locket to tell her she’s Something Else. It also warns her to trust no one, so she hides the pieces that make her different, even though it means being alone.

The autumn she meets Lucas, everything changes.

Althea and Lucas are immune to the alien mind control, and together they search for the reason why. What they uncover is a stunning truth the Others never anticipated, one with the potential to free the brainwashed human race.

It’s not who they are that makes them special, but what.

And what they are is a threat. One the Others are determined to eliminate for good.


EXCERPT: It’s early morning. It always is. The sound of movement on the floor below forces my fists to unclench, releasing the garish orange comforter wrinkled inside them. Last night I fell asleep at the Hammond’s house, where the bedding is green and spring crept toward an end. I never get used to starting over like this, but as my travels grow more frequent, a kind of numbness settles in. My feet find their way out from under the heavy down and settle into the slippers beside the bed.
                As if I never left.
                I shuffle across the thick, brown carpet and kneel on the padded window seat to peer outside. The trees are bright splotches against the vivid blue sky—some crimson, others a sunny yellow—with a few fiery oranges scattered about. Their bold colors verify my suspicions.
                It’s autumn now.


Review Rating: 4 LIGHTNING BOLTS

Review: In a world nothing like we've ever known, one never knows who they can trust. As a teenager struggling to survive in a new world where humans aren't as dominant as they once were, the story leads us through Althea's life, and her struggle to overcome the secrets and lies that have become her life.  A part sci/fi, parts suspense, and plenty of intrigue, this book had me glued to the pages. With a world very well put together, vivid description, and very likable and in some cases, unlikable characters, everything drew together for a stunning read. A few times, there were slow parts of the story that dragged the book down a little bit, but overall, one that I enjoyed reading.  It's a book targeted at YA, with a teen heroine and all, but really, anyone can enjoy this book. Great story, and I'm interested in what else this author has in store.


Author Bio:  
Raised by a family of ex-farmers and/or almost rock stars from Northeastern Iowa, I’ve always loved to tell stories. After graduating from Texas Christian University with a degree in Film, I began to search for a way to release the voices in my head. IWhen I attempted my first YA novel, which would become Whispers in Autumn, I was hooked. I knew then my heart lay with telling stories about and for young adults, and for anyone who loves to read and recapture those fleeting “first” moments.
My spare time is spent reviewing television and movies, spending time with my large, loud, loving family, reading any book that falls into my hands, and being dragged into the fresh air by my dogs Yoda and Jilly.
Connect with Trisha!

@trishaleighkc

 NookiBooksKobo, and  paperback!




3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to the second!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an interesting read. Thanks for the spotlight on the book, the review and the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting! I'm glad you enjoyed the read!

    ReplyDelete